The Liberty Bridge opened in 1896 as part of the
Millennium celebrations to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of
the arrival of the Magyars in the Carpathian Basin. It was the third
bridge constructed in Budapest. Each of the it's pillars has a Turul
bird (a mythical symbol in Magyar history) perched on top.
The Liberty Bridge was formerly called the Franz Joseph Bridge after
the Habsburg Emperor.