USA Ribbon spacer The Nomad spacer Personal Website
 

Hungarian Flag

Back to Hungary Page

Back   Next

The Basilica

This red marble chapel dates from before the Ottoman period and was commissioned by the Archbishop of Esztergom Tamás Bakócz in the early 16th century. The Florentine altar was salvaged from the original medieval basilica built on this site.

 

Red Marble Chapel

The altar was carved in Carrara marble by Andrea Ferucci of Fiesole (1465-1526). It's ranked as one of the finest works of Renaissance art to have survived in Hungary.

 
Home | Aviation | Military | Railway | U.S.A. | Europe | Israel | Other
Copyright © 2017 P. David Pride, All rights reserved.